Saturday, June 6, 2015

Summer challenge from Ms. Tucker
In your child’s report card jacket you should find a small white card with the words: because I said I would.  This card is from a social movement and nonprofit organization dedicated to the betterment of humanity through promises made and kept.  I spoke to the students from WING TV several times during our final week of school to challenge them to be thinking of a promise (goal) to make and keep.  I shared the goal didn’t have to be about school, it could be whatever they chose.  They would write it on the card and no one may ever know if they kept their promise, but they will.  I tied this challenge to our LIFESKILL of Integrity – to act according to a sense of what’s right & wrong; and at RTE we often add: what we do when no one is looking.
I hope you will encourage your child to accept this summer challenge.  Perhaps you would like to join him/her in making a promise of your own.  School begins on August 19, and I have told the students IF they want to share their promise we will provide a forum to do that, but that isn’t the important part.  The important part is understanding the power of what we say and do as individuals.  Our words & actions matter, every day.

May you find much JOY in the 75 days of summer as your child continues to rapidly grow & mature into a unique individual.  Don’t blink!